The fine country-seat of Mr. Langdon, formerly owned by the celebrated Doctor David Hosack, is conspicuous among the splendid country residences near Hyde Park Landing, a small settlement of sixty houses, on the east side of the river, eighty miles from New York.
Benson Lossing describes Hyde Park in 1866:
"The village of Hyde Park is upon a pleasant plain, high above the river, and half a mile from it. it received its name from Peter Faulconier, the private secretary of Sir Edward Hyde (afterwards Lord Cornbury), the governor of the province of New York at the beginning of the last century. Faulconier purchased a large tract of land at this place, and named it Hyde Park in honour of the governor. Here the aspect of the western shores of the river changes from gently sloping banks and cultivated fields to rocky and precipitous bluffs; and this character they exhibit all the way to Hoboken, opposite New York, with few interruptions.